Posted by dadsjfjkldsfjksdkjf
Each week The Design Diva re-creates one of the completed rooms from Million Dollar Decorator so you can have a similar room at a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, Episode 6 did not complete anything. Since so many people loved Daisy Fuentes‘ wall mural on Episode 5, we are going to share some sources for wall murals and 10 Easy Steps for successful installation in your own home.
One source for an extensive selection of inexpensive wall murals is Mural Superstore, which was also featured on HGTV, Bravo’s Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and ABC’s Extreme Home Makeover. If you’ve ever wished you could afford a New York City skyline view, or you dream of owning a beach house, you can create either illusion for under $75. If you are decorating a “Man Cave” and your man is a baseball fan, he can feel like he is hanging out at the World Champion San Fransisco Giants Stadium with the misty San Francisco bay on the horizon.
Another great source for wall murals is Murals Your Way. What makes them different is their ability for customization. If you are decorating a child’s room, they can add his or her name to it. If you have a unique area you want to cover, they can customize the mural size. If, like Daisy Fuentes and Martyn Lawrence Bullard on Million Dollar Decorator, you have a great picture you love, they can transform it into a wall mural. Plus, you have your choice of getting your mural printed on traditional vinyl, artist-quality canvas, or made as a peel and stick, repositionable wallcovering. The options are endless!
Now that you know where to get your mural, here are 10 easy steps for successful installation of it:
- Determine what size you want your mural to be. Do you want it from corner to corner or just a section of the wall like Daisy Fuentes?
- Remove outlet covers, switch plates, picture hangers, and nails. Fill holes with spackle and allow to dry.
- Sand area to be covered. A smooth wall assures the best results.
- Prime the area with wallpaper primer. This will make it easier to slide the panels to their correct position.
- Layout panels in their proper order and number them to be sure they get hung in the correct position.
- Make a level guideline for where you want the right edge of the first panel to hang. This is the most critical part of installation, since the accuracy of the first panel will determine how well the entire mural will look.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for pasting and hanging, or using the peel and stick backing.
- Be sure to smooth out all air bubbles and wrinkles starting at the center and working your way outwards.
- After all panels are hung, use a straight edge and sharp blade to trim the tops and bottoms of panels. Be sure to change your blade frequently to assure a clean cut.
- If using paste, be sure to remove any excess paste from the surface of the mural with a clean, damp sponge.
Now your room has the style of a Hollywood star, at a fraction of the cost!
If you have a room you would like re-created affordably, please leave a comment below or email @ email@example.com.
Posted in Decorating
Tags: #MDD, bravotv, Bullard Martyn Lawrence, Daisy Fuentes, Extreme Home Makeover, guide to wall mural, HGTV, interior decorating, living room designs, living room ideas, Martyn Lawrence Bullard, Million Dollar Decorator, mural installation, mural superstore, murals your way, muralsuperstore, muralsyourway, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, wall mural